Tuesday, January 23, 2007

No longer a Republican

I have decided as of today to change my party affiliation to Independent. Let me make it clear that it is not because the Republicans lost. I have been seriously considering this move for several years now. This is not a decision I take lightly at all. I have been a solid Reagan Republican for 20 years. I've always voted a straight Rep. ticket. The power the Republicans had was power that I gave them with my vote. Well I won't be just be giving my vote away anymore. I am a Christian first, then a Conservative. Religious people used to be the backbone of the Party. This is no longer the case. The "Big Tent Party" has become too big for me.

Because of this decision, it will mean more work for me but also more work for whoever is running. More work for me because now I'll have to look at all the candidates to decide who best represents what I firmly believe in. More work for the candidate because I'm no longer going to vote for anyone just because there is an (R) behind their name.

This is not an easy decision for me to make but one I feel I must make if I'm to be an example to my kids of someone who stands on principal first.

No comments: