Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The (Stupid) Motion Picture Academy Awards

I know I'm not the brightest bulb but I really don't understand the way movie awards work. "Babel" is up for 7 Academy awards I hear. Well, I saw this one by myself. The premise of the movie sounded interesting so I decided to check it out. In a word? Awful. Actually I could use stronger language but I want my blog to be clean. Maybe I'm just not intellectual enough to understand higher art or whatever the subtle messages were but I left scratching my head. To say it was strange would be an understatement. And there was this weird sexual angle I didn't understand at all. It was dark and depressing. I'm sure there must be some political message behind it. Otherwise it wouldn't be up for an award. That seems to be the criteria these days. At least with "Brokeback" I got it. Put your eyes back in-I didn't see it. And wouldn't. I get the political message. Gay love is the same as hetero love, don't discriminate against homosexuals, blah, blah, blah. I don't buy into any of it but that's beside the point. The awards are not about what's good or what gets butts in the seats. They have become all about getting some liberal message out. But "Babel"???
So here's my prediction:

Best Movie: Babel
Best Actor: Brad Pitt (he stunk too, by the way)
Best Documentary: Why "An Inconvenient Truth" of course. What else?
Best Animated: Happy Feet ("An Inconvenient Truth" with cute little penguins.)

What should win?
Best Movie: The Pursuit of Happyness. Cried my eyes out and so did my husband.
Best Actor: Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness-hands down his best movie
Best Animated: Cars- cute movie, no overt political message, could take all my kids without worrying.
Best Documentary: Come on. Who really cares?

But whose listening to me, the one who pays $10 to get into these movies? Apparently no one.

No comments: